Tuesday, April 03, 2007

International Scarf Exchange 4

I've added a new button to my sidebar...


... as I've signed up for International Scarf Exchange 4.

A few of the Rubi + Lana group have taken part in the earlier incarnations of the International Scarf Exchange, and as it's always looked like fun I thought I would give it a go this time around. :)

Pals have already been allocated, and I've successfully made contact with both the person I will be knitting a scarf for and the person who will be knitting a scarf for me, so everything is going really well so far.

I've also paid a visit to Rubi + Lana, and now have several balls of yarn eagerly awaiting the opportunity to become a scarf for my pal...


As you can see from the label...


... it's ONline Linie 164 'Java', which is a 67% cotton and 33% rayon yarn. The colour I've chosen is shade #05, which is a deep, dark blue, and to my eye is a colour reminiscent of dark blue sapphires.

The regulars from our little knitting group will no doubt recognize the yarn as the same one Lara is using to knit her 'Melon Shawl'. **

So... What will I be making with this yarn?

I've decided to knit a version of this...


... which is the 'Alpine Knit Scarf' from Jane Sowerby's 'Victorian Lace Today'.

And here is another view of it...


From the information I was sent, my pal seems keen to have a lacy scarf to wear during the summer months, and I think this should fit the bill.

As the yarn I bought is nothing like the original yarn used in the pattern, I've also chosen a backup pattern -- surprisingly enough, not from 'Victorian Lace Today' -- just in case the yarn and pattern decide not to play nicely together.

Whatever happens though, I have a feeling this is going to be a scarf I'm going to have trouble letting go of when the time comes. ;)

From the look of some of the postings on the International Scarf Exchange blog, I'm already way behind as several people have already finished knitting their scarf. Eek!

Just one more posting to go now, and I should finally be up to date. ;)


** My profound apologies to Kate, by the way. I was completely mistaken about the particular 'tree wool' yarn Lara was using when you asked me about it at one of our recent get-togethers. Since I last saw you, I've read some of Lara's blog entries a little more closely than I must've originally, and have discovered that it was the ONline Linie 164 'Java' after all. :(

Labels: , , , ,

4 Comments:

At 10:18 pm, April 03, 2007, Blogger Unknown said...

That's going to be a gorgeous scarf! I hope your pal is suitably greatful. I'll be interested to talk to you about joining the balls on sunday - I think I have an issue :(

 
At 11:08 pm, April 03, 2007, Blogger Pamela Lee said...

And just when I was planning to ask you for your advice as to how best to join in new balls. :)

Is it another yarn we're going to have to join at the edges, do you think? This is what I was told to do with the ArtYarns 'Regal Silk' by Iris Schreier herself. I had hoped it might splice as 'Java' seems to have plies which hold together quite well. I'm guessing this isn't actually the case though by the fact that you want to talk about it. *sigh*

 
At 3:40 pm, April 04, 2007, Blogger Unknown said...

for the first join, I threaded on end through the other for about 4 inches, and knit this bulky strand - trouble is, the yarn is quite splitty, and it ahs unravelled quite a bit. The second ball was joined in at the end of a row, but I am worried that weaving the ends in won't tame them - it is also very silky and slippery.

To be honest, I have considered the Russian Join, but a hot glue gun is likely going to be the safest.

 
At 5:08 pm, April 04, 2007, Blogger gemma said...

Hi is the Rubi + Lana group on this weekend?
Someone told me it was a good group to visit.
Gemma

 

Post a Comment

<< Home